It’s December – and that means one thing… Peppermint! If you love this wintertime favorite flavor as much as I do, be sure to subscribe to our updates (on the right side of the screen, just under the menu buttons), so you don’t miss a thing. We’ll have peppermint recipes and info all month long!
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Mocha
The rich decadence of delicious dark chocolate combined with the refreshing chill of peppermint is, to me, the very essence of winter in dessert form.
I have to tell you, this is my new favorite drink. Rich. Peppermint-y. Caffeinated. I am sipping it right now, and each mouthful makes me feel like I am sitting in my flannel PJ’s (I’m not) in front of a fireplace (which my home doesn’t have) during a snowstorm in Vail. Ahhhh… bliss.
And it’s so easy!
P.S. Do NOT tell any chocolatiers that I told you to microwave dark chocolate. They would probably hunt me down and force me to eat cocoa until I was stuffed like a truffle. But seriously, microwaving chocolate in beverages actually works great! :-D
- 1 c. milk (I use 1% organic milk, but you can use whatever you normally have around the house! More fat = creamier flavor. Less fat = stronger flavor)
- 1 oz. 60% dark chocolate (usually is 2 squares of a normal sized bar)
- ½ tsp. sugar (or more, to taste. I like mine minimally sweetened.)
- 1 shot espresso OR 1 tsp. freeze-dried espresso OR 1 tsp good quality instant coffee
- Generous 1/8 tsp. Peppermint Extract
In a microwave safe mug, heat the milk 3 minutes on 50% heat. While the milk is heating, place the chocolate in a plastic sandwich bag and break into tiny pieces with a mallet. When the milk is done warming, add the chocolate and stir. Place back in the microwave for 1 minute intervals on 50% heat until chocolate dissolves when stirred. Be careful not to bring to full boil. Add the sugar, espresso and peppermint extract, stir and ENJOY!
Serving Suggestions: Use a vegetable peeler to shave some chocolate on top, and toss in a marshmallow or two. Divine!